Ingredients needed to make 4 individual or 1 large tart:
- Puff pastry (homemade if you like, but much quicker if you cheat and buy ready made);
- A leek;
- 2 large or 4 small tomatoes;
- 2 types of cheese - I use Feta and Double Gloucester because I like the contrasting tastes (tangy Feta and creamy Double Gloucester);
- 1 egg (for glazing);
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190C and oil and line a baking tray.
- Roll out your puff pastry to size - I like making individual tarts approximately 10 cm x 20 cm.
- Place your pastry on the baking tray and score an edge all the way round the pastry (about 0.5 cm from the edge).
- Arrange 3 or 4 thin slices of your 1st cheese (in my case Double Gloucester) on top of the pastry.
- Slice the leek, separate the ring of leek and arrange on top of the cheese.
- Slice the tomatoes and add several slices per tart.
- Cut your 2nd cheese (Feta for me) into small cubes and arrange on top of all the other ingredients (or fill in any little gaps).
- Brush a little egg over the top.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 30 minutes (keep a close eye on it after the first 20 minutes).
- If you want to add a little shredded fresh basil as a garnish.
I like eating this with a green salad.